Canada Immigration Forum

Canada Immigration Forum

Work in Canada

To work in Canada, most foreign workers need to obtain a work permit before they can work in Canada.

Is it possible to change from a visitor’s visa to work visa in Canada?

By: Joy Reyes on Feb 01, 2019 03:06 PM EST
I live in Toronto with my cousin and I am here on vacation, can I convert my visa to a work visa and eventually apply for a PR?
Robyn Jones[CICC ID: R514419]
By: ROBYN JONES[CICC ID: R514419] on Feb 28, 2019 06:34 PM EST
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and Immigration Instructor operating in Nanaimo, BC. Assisting clients in most areas of Canada and the rest of the world.
First of all, in Canada, there are only two kinds of visas - temporary and permanent. The only purpose of a temporary visa is to allow you to ask the port of entry (CBSA) officer if you can be admitted. Once you were granted entry, you were granted VISITOR STATUS which is something entirely different. Your visa is irrelevant once you enter Canada. As such, it can't be converted to anything. What I believe you are asking is: Can you apply for a work permit from within Canada?

In most cases the answer is no, meaning you cannot submit to an office in Canada.

Whether or not you qualify for PR or a work permit depends on your particular circumstances. There's not enough information here to determine eligibility so I suggest you contact an RCIC and book a consultation to see for what, if anything, you are eligible.
By: shruti on Jul 18, 2019 07:22 AM EST
Getting a Work Visa is completely a different process in all. There is no chance of converting your Visit Visa into Work Visa because on visit visa you are for a limited time period in a country....but on Work Visa you get access to Work in the Country
Begin a Discussion
Find a Consultant