Temporary Resident Permits for Immigrants Facing Family Violence | MyConsultant

Temporary Resident Permits for Immigrants Facing Family Violence

In an emergency, people facing threats to their immediate safety, including victims of family violence, should call 9-1-1.

Canada has other safeguards in place for newcomers facing family violence, including a special resident permit to help newcomers leave dangerous domestic situations without fear of losing their immigration status. 

Newcomers facing domestic violence can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit for themselves and their children. The permit is free, gives legal immigration status, and does not require the applicant to testify against their abuser. The permit also gives its holder access to trauma counselling and health benefits. Those who need additional time after the first TRP expires can apply for a new one.

To get a TRP, you can use the contact information on the IRCC website to apply either by phone, online, or mail. Those who receive a TRP and would like to stay in Canada permanently may be able to apply for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

If you are a victim of family violence, you can also call 2-1-1 to find support services.