Canada Immigration Forum

Canada Immigration Forum


This thread will cover all other aspects of immigration, from medical or inadmissibility to processing or timelines issues.


By: marmor on Mar 18, 2020 05:48 PM EST

My boyfriend is in Uzbekistan, and I’m a Canadian Citizen, living in Canada. We met online, almost 2 years years ago. (communicating via WhatsApp We both want him to come visit, for which he needs a “Visitor” Visa. In the future, we would like to get married.

Due to the fact that, we haven’t been in a relationship for long, “Outland Sponsorship” would be denied, as it may not be viewed as “genuine”.

So, a better step would be trying for a “visitor” visa first, then eventually, “Inland Sponsorship?” What would you suggest?

Thank you for your time.
By: Zhang Hui on Mar 19, 2020 03:56 PM EST

Base on the situation you mentioned, he is not yet a member of the family class, thus cannot be sponsored. If you get married, then he becomes your spouse and can be sponsored as a spouse. However, a single marriage certificate cannot prove the genuineness of your relationship.

If you are thinking about getting married. Either he may apply for a visa or you may visit him to get it done.

Good luck,

Zhang Hui
Immigration and Citizenship Consultant, #R524643
By: marmor on Mar 19, 2020 07:04 PM EST
Hi Zhang,

Thank you for replying. That’s what I’m saying. If I go there, just to “get it done”, then this won’t be viewed as “genuine” due to the length of our relationship. Therefore, coming as a “visitor” first makes more sense.

Yes, he would have to return to his home country, at the of his stay, but at least he can come back a few times, and we can proceed from there. The “Sponsorship” would not be done right away.
Begin a Discussion
Find a Consultant