Canada Immigration Forum

Canada Immigration Forum

Visit Canada

Want to see your family or friends, or maybe enjoy a great holiday? You may need a temporary resident visa or eTA.

Visitor visa

By: Ardo on Feb 20, 2020 10:17 AM EST
My spouse applied for protected convention refugee and was refered to IRB and waiting for her hearing. I hold a visitor visa that will expire on March 2020, my question can I apply for a visitor visa from my country of residence given my wife is a refugee claimant . Or I am considered inadmissable person?
Thanks for any reply
By: Zhang Hui on Feb 20, 2020 12:58 PM EST
Hi Ardo,

You may apply for a visitor visa (TRV) even your wife has a refugee claim in Canada in process. However, one of the requirements for TRV issuance is the visitor will and must leave Canada by the end of their authorized stay. Your wife's claim may cause concerns about whether you are a genuine visitor. Therefore, if you apply for a TRV, the issue is how do you convince a visa offer that you will leave Canada by the end of the authorized period?


Zhang, Hui, RCIC, #R524643
Begin a Discussion
Find a Consultant